A fiber optic splice protection sleeve is a device that is used to join two pieces of optical fiber in splice trays. It is usually made from a soft and flexible material such as rubber or silicone.
The fiber optic fusion splice protector sleeve is designed to protect the area where the two pieces of optical fiber meet. This helps to keep the area protected from damage and contamination. A fiber optic fusion splice sleeve typically only covers part of an optical fiber. This leaves a small portion exposed so that light can pass through it.
Why you need Fiber Optic Splice Sleeve
We need to strip the outer coating and protective layer when we attach it to the fiber optic fusion splice protector sleeves. This makes the fusion splicing point more vulnerable to outside influences and reduces mechanical strength.
The fiber optic splice protection sleeve is a tube made of polyethylene that shrinks when heated. It has an inner wall that is coated with hot melt adhesive.
A small steel pipe with a diameter of about 1.5 mm is placed in the middle of the sleeve. After heating, the fiber sleeve shrinks and wraps around the fiber optic connector and the small steel pipe together.
This operation strengthens the optical fiber joint and prevents the effect of the bending deformation of the optical fiber joint. It can also make the joint have better moisture resistance. When heating, be sure to exhaust all air from the tube and heat evenly to avoid forming air bubbles during shrinkage. At the same time, be careful to control the heating temperature so as not to burn the polyethylene pipe.
How to use a fiber protection sleeve?
The strength member inside the splice protection sleeve is designed to protect during installation and removal from splice holders. To this end, one could insert the spliced fiber into a holder with the strength member in the down position. This means it is the strength member, not the fiber, that should be installed first into the target holder position. This minimizes contact with the fiber and facilitates the removal of a splice sleeve whenever necessary.
Types of fiber optic fusion splice sleeve
Single Fiber Splice Sleeve
This type of fiber splice sleeves are designed specifically for use with a single optical fiber. A pregnancy pillow is a type of pillow that helps pregnant women sleep better. It has a steel support tube and a soft, flexible outer cover. This sleeve helps to protect a single fiber after fusion splicing.
Ribbon Fiber Splice Protection Sleeve
Ribbon fiber splice protectors are designed specifically for use with ribbon optical fibers. This type of protector sleeve protects multiple fibers that are grouped in a single cable. The sleeve typically has several slots to hold the ribbon of optical fibers securely in place. It is usually made from a soft and flexible material, like rubber or silicone.
60mm fiber optic splice sleeve
The structure size and length of the slice sleeve are 60mm. The sleeve is a circular structure, and its inner evolution is 1.6mm. The fiber optic protection sleeve has a circular steel pin on the underside, with a diameter of 1.5mm. The outermost tube of the sleeve has an outer diameter of 4.0mm.
The heat-shrinkable tube of the fiber optic cable protection sleeve is formed by the expansion of the low-density western polyolefin tube after cross-linking. It is a protection element specially designed for optical fiber splicing.
1. The appearance and shape of the object are complete and do not have any obvious deformations, burrs, impurity cracks, scratches, or other blemishes. The wall thickness is also consistent throughout the object and there is no visible bending in the reinforcement.
2. Additional splice losses should not be incurred when protecting bare fiber splices.
3. It should be ensured that the optical fiber is not damaged when the optical fiber is introduced or pulled out.
4. After using the fiber optic fiber splice protection sleeves, the mechanical properties of the bare optical fiber fusion splicing point are enhanced.
5. After using the fiber splice protection sleeves, the mechanical properties of the bare optical fiber fusion splicing point are enhanced.
6. The fusion splicing protection sleeve helps keep the original performance and shape of the optical fiber without being damaged.
7. After using the fiber optic protection sleeve, it has the function of maintaining the original performance.
8. The stainless steel used in the reinforcement construction should meet the requirements of GB/1220 and have a certain flexural strength.
1. It does not affect the light-guiding properties of the optical fiber, protects the splicing point, and improves mechanical strength.
2. The operation is simple, the use is convenient and safe, and the risk of damage to the optical fiber during installation is reduced.
3. Transparent sleeve, the optical fiber connection status is clear at a glance.
4. The internal completely sealed structure makes the connection have good temperature and humidity resistance.
Heat shrink parameter setting
The heating time was 30 seconds, the heating temperature was 200°C, and the heating end temperature was 140°C.
• Starting temperature：90°C
• working/storage temperature：-55°C ~ 125°C
• Service life: 30 years
• Radial shrinkage: >=50%
• Axial shrinkage: >=2%
• Tensile strength: >=14 Mpa
• Aging: 7 days of 90°C, 60 days of 1340°C
• Expansion strength after aging: >=10 Mpa
• Elongation at the break after aging: >=200%
• Insulation resistance: >=10^14 Ω·cm
• Dielectric strength: >=25KV/mm